Do I Need an Attorney to File Bankruptcy in Atlanta, Georgia?
You are not required to hire an attorney to file bankruptcy in Georgia. However, hiring a qualified bankruptcy attorney to help you through your bankruptcy case is probably a good idea. The only type of debtor who I believe could possibly file a case without an attorney is one who has no assets whatsoever, no or little income, and no secured debt, such as a mortgage or car loan.
What can a Bankruptcy Attorney do for me?
All other debtors who are considering filing bankruptcy in Atlanta, Georgia would benefit greatly from hiring a knowledgeable Atlanta bankruptcy attorney. A bankruptcy lawyer can help you do the following:
- Decide if bankruptcy is a good option for you or if alternatives to bankruptcy are available;
- If bankruptcy is a good option for you, guide you to the best type of bankruptcy for you, whether it be a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13;
- Analyze your personal financial circumstances to determine whether you can pay back less than 100% of your debts, keep your car, keep your home and other important assets under federal and Georgia bankruptcy exemption laws;
- Attend bankruptcy court hearings with you;
- Handle correspondence between you and creditors and the Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 trustees;
- Assist you with complicated legal issues such as liens, the dischargeability of tax debt, stripping second mortgage liens, reducing interest rates and other ways to take advantage of the bankruptcy law to help you reduce debt and keep property;
- Help you with the timeline on items such as how long it takes to file bankruptcy, when you do credit counseling, and when your creditors must object or file proofs of claims;
- File and respond to motions before the court that would be necessary or beneficial in your case; and,
- Respond to inappropriate creditor collections and inquiries made after you are already protected by the bankruptcy court’s protective stay order.
How do I Afford to pay a Bankruptcy Lawyer?
You may be wondering how a person who is experiencing financial difficulties can pay attorneys’ fees to a bankruptcy attorney. The good news is that the Law Offices of Betty Davis offers friendly payment plans. Further, if you are filing a Chapter 13 bankruptcy case in Georgia, you can pay your attorneys’ fees through a consolidated monthly payment to all of your creditors and to your attorney as well.
There are numerous complex legal issues and problems that could arise in a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy case in Georgia. Thus, it is important for you to find an attorney who has the knowledge and experience to help you make sound decisions that will help your financial future. If you do decide to go the do-it-yourself route, you can find all of the official bankruptcy forms on the Georgia Northern District Bankruptcy Court website. In any case, if you have any questions about filing bankruptcy in Atlanta, we offer free initial consultations. Call 404.585.0040 to schedule yours!
Charles is absolutely a brilliant attorney! He is a critical thinker and determined problem solver. He is very accessible, even via text. If he is in court, his ability to multi-task, you can feel safe and secure in knowing he is handling any issues or concerns. I entrust him with my future, he is a uniquely talented attorney who always challenges himself to achieve the absolute best outcome for his clients.
I was very satisfied with Mr. Clapp services. He is a man of his word and did everything he told me he would. I would highly recommend him.
I came to Mr. Clapp by referral with a complicated case involving both personal and business debts that were out of control. Mr. Clapp evaluated the situation and gave me options that I was not even aware of. He knows his stuff, executed flawlessly, and I have been able to start over. I highly recommend Charles Clapp if you have debt or bankruptcy issues. Listen to his advice, he knows his stuff. I consulted with several other bankruptcy attorneys prior to retaining Mr. Clapp, and they did not have the same breadth of knowledge that Mr. Clapp brought to my case.
I selected Charles Clapp to handle my bankruptcy based on his already positive reviews and I am glad that I did! He was very accommodating to my schedule and made my negative life experience positive. I was actually very surprised how easy he made the process. Life happens and it’s great to be represented by someone that understand that!!! Stop your attorney search with Charles Clapp!!!